Monday, March 10, 2008

Kinda in response to Nomadic Power reading...kinda...

It has now come to the point where I feel that I am repeating myself with these posts and not really saying anything.

It occurred to me early in this semester that in order to really contribute to this class I would need a much deeper knowledge of net art, computer gaming, computers, and a lot of the terminology and lingo that goes along with it.  So as i read these articles, I understand what is discussed but not what the point is.  Maybe that is worth discussing.  I feel somewhat lost in the class discussions, which is why I make little or no comment, and often don't understand why we are discussing certain things.  I dont meant to go on a rant about the content of the class, I think it was my lack of research before joining the class that lead to my confusion.  I was really completely unsure of what i was getting into.  I thought we would be discussing specific art objects which I can do, because it involves opinion and artistic education.  However I now find myself wondering even what net art is.  I have seen little art, as I would define it, coming from most of these artists and the readings only make things worse.  I struggle to get through them and come out with nothing to say.  Therefore I rely on the reading questions to ground me.  Like the question asking what role hackers play.  I have no idea what role a hacker can play because the only thing i know about hackers is what i see in movies and that seems to be a little exaggerated sometimes.  This reading raised one issue, in the discussion questions, that interested me, which was about artists as activists.  I don't think artists have to be activists at all, and honestly often prefer when they aren't.  I've found that many of the artists we have discussed have felt the need to be activists and in doing so confused and bothered me with their art and statements about it.

sorry for the rant, i got a little carried away, but there it is...

1 comment:

schleinerama said...

I hear what your saying. If/when I teach this class again I will try to select easier readings for the undergrad level of CU art students..