Monday, March 10, 2008

Cyberfemenism, but not really...

Id rather not get into femenism because A, im not that well versed on the topic, and B, every time I have every voiced my opinions on femenism someone has told me I was wrong, sexist, stupid, or something else, even though I have heard others agree what what I said.  Either way, the cyborg thing interested me because I feel like it has applications in both the net art, internet, and medicinal fields which are all rapidly advancing today.  So the internet/net art applications of the idea of the cyborg interests me because it reminds me of peoples facebook and myspace profiles, where they use the mechanical internet world to portray their personalities.  They also compile lists of their favorite bands and movies and other things created by OTHER people to describe themselves.  That reminds me of a cyborg simply because of the combination of technology and modern media and the human element controlling and being controlled by them.

            In the medical sense, it reminded me of a person I read about who can turn on the lights in her house with her mind.  She had experimental surgery and they successfully placed a chip in her brain that links to her lights, and since she is paralyzed all she can do is use her mind.  Or the military applications of body armor, helmets with communication devices, and radar and other technology linked to their person so they can be tracked and assisted while in battle on foot.  The other discussion about robots and the feminine side of things were not that interesting to me, but I recently had a discussion about cyborgs with some friends so I chose to focus on that in my response. 

No comments: